Monday, June 25, 2012

Disney Cruise Line Fish Exchange

As I mentioned a few posts back, I will now explain the Fish Extender exchange I participated in on our recent Disney cruise. I signed up to participate in it on the DIS Discussion Forums. Just scroll down and find the Disney Cruise Line Forum and then go to the Disney Cruise Meets. You will then click on your ship and year you are sailing ... then click on your cruise date. If you are a long way out from your cruise then it may take awhile for the Fish Extender list to get started. In the mean time enjoy meeting your fellow cruisers and ask any questions you have.

When they start asking who is interested in being in the Fish Extender then that is the time to speak up!! When you get within about a month of the cruise they will finalize the list and possibly split it if there are a lot of people participating. That is what happened on our cruise. I was happy it was split since I was making a mini album and didn't think that I could get 35 done! :)

You can find "how to's" on the boards for how to make the Fish Extender ... that is what I did. I should have started it a lot sooner than I did cause I don't think I finished until about a week before we left! Here is mine:
All the staterooms have a metal fish outside the door. The cruise line uses this to clip any messages for you they may have. We use it to hang the fish extender! Throughout the cruise ... even possibly up to the last night ... you will have something put in your fish extender. It was so much fun to come back to the room and see what we received. However, I enjoyed delivering the gifts I made to all the staterooms in my group. It certainly helped us learn our way around the ship. :)

While I put off sewing the fish extender, I totally embraced making my mini albums. I made my own happy mess ...
 
 
Here is the final product. 
 
 
 
 
After this point the pages just repeat the three shown above. Then I decided to personalize the back cover:
I wanted to mention that the idea for my mini album came from the very talented Laura Denison. You can find it on her Ustream through her website ... The Paper Trail. I just took her idea and Disney-fied it. :)

I hope this explains the Fish Extender well enough. Like I said earlier, the DIS Discussion Forums are where you need to go if you have questions about cruising with Disney. If you already have your reservation then join your cruise group through the Disney Cruise Meets and happy cruising!

Thanks for dropping by ...


10 comments:

remus79 said...

Your album is the best(!), as usual. I have enjoyed all your posts about your trip, too. Thanks! Almost felt like I was there ;)

Anonymous said...

Loved your album!! And thanks for the info on the fish extender. One question - could you tell me exactly what album you used from Paper Trail. I was looking on their site and she has some patterns for sale. Wanted to make sure I got the right one. Thanks.

Cheryl said...

Thank you! I am a huge fan of Laura Denison. I used the Stack the Deck Two pattern. On pg 3 is the basic binding method and Page 10 is the Fold Over Paper Bag Version. I used the Celebrate It bags I got at Michael's. There are 16 bags to a package. Lots of colors.

I usually take one of her projects and add the Disney twist. Would love to see your album when done. :)

Anonymous said...

Cheryl - thank you so much for the info. I will definitely let you see the finished product!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my love it! Can you tell me hi wit us done? I am new to scrapping and gap have the silhoutte machune

Anonymous said...

how did you do or find the front and cover page photos?

thank you!

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I used images by a very talented person on the DIS Boards. If you type in "photobucket.com/user/milliesky/library/" (do not put the quote marks)in your browser, then it will bring up her image library.

Just go to her Disney Cruise tab and under there you will find tons of fantastic images. After I picked the ones I wanted then I used Photoshop Elements to add specific things regarding my cruise.

I hope this helps! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this! Did you use brown and black bags? If not, how did you get the black on the ends and sides? Almost looks like you slipped a brown bag in a black one?

Cheryl said...

So glad you like it. I used the Celebrate It Paper Sacks at Michaels. For this album I used black sacks, but you turn down the top of the bag and that gives you the brown side showing. I used the pattern from Laura Denison called Stack the Deck Two. On Page 10 is the Fold Over Paper Bag Version and this shows how to do it.

Thanks again and thanks for dropping by my blog. :)